Thursday, July 19, 2012

Summer Reads # 4

Book #6 Unforgettable by Loretta Ellsworth

Here's another summer book read for my students. This is a story about a boy who can't forget anything. He suffered a head injury when he was three and now can recall every detail of every day of his life. He moves back to Minnesota to get away from some of his bad memories and makes some new realizations about himself. This is a classic coming of age text! (Hello, ninth grade English). However, though the concept was original, the plot was predictable (for an adult reader who is an English teacher). As a designer, the cover of this text was by far the best! What a cool wordle.


Book#7 Stupid Fast by Goeff Herbach

This book is about a kid who's life changes pretty quickly over the course of a summer. Because of his quick trip through puberty, he finds himself being recruited to be a part of the football team even though he considers himself to be a loner and a loser. Through the course of his summer (of eating, sleeping and becoming a jock) he discovers some secrets about his family--and about himself--that he can't run away from. No matter how fast his legs move. What I especially loved about this book was the author's voice and the cadence of the writing. This book captured how my writing style and my brain worked in high school (I mean, minus the testosterone!). Zing! 
Because of the interesting voice and style, this is my favorite book of the three summer reads. One more to go!



I can't believe I have read seven books this summer! I was going to consider myself lucky if I had been able to get through three or four. I wouldn't say I have read anything too heavy or dense, and it might have taken me a few days to get through these during a previous summer, but I am pleased as punch to say that I have read a stack of books with a newborn in my arms. Now, for the last young adult summer read in my pile: Split.

No comments:

Post a Comment