Friday, July 6, 2012

Summer Reads #2

I am celebrating reading two more books from my shelves. I know this is no super, great, big huge accomplishment. BUT for a girl who has been in grad school for several years and now has very limited reading opportunities, this is a pretty big deal. I have a stack of about two dozen more to read (a lofty goal!) so I'll just keep plugging away here. And, I'll let you know which ones are worth the time.
Summer Read #3: The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
The Happiness Project
This book is listed as memoir/self-help as Gretchen shares her story about deciding to dedicate a year to becoming happier. She spends time test-driving koans, current scientific research and pop culture lessons about how to be happier. A few things she figures out are that money--when spent wisely--can help buy happiness; outer order contributes to inner calm and that small changes can make big differences. I found a lot of my (former) self (Liz 1.0 or Liz 2.0) in this book, and thought her story was interesting enough. I just felt like her goal to create happiness was limited ans short-sighted. My happiness project would involve entire communities, cities or countries--and would not be centered on making myself happy. However, it is a good place to start. This book did inspire me to give up a few more things, connect with a few more people, ask for help more often, be more giving, and reconnect with my nesting instinct. (As if that ever fully disappeared! Pregnancy was just an excuse to clean out a few closets!)
Take away: the days are long, but the years are short. (Enjoy the moments; they are fleeting.)



Summer Read #4: Life is Short, But Wide by J. California Cooper

This book was recommended to me from a woman I met at Martha's Vineyard last summer. I got two copies of it for Christmas and this is the first chance I have taken to read it. This novel has endorsements from Alice Walker and Nikki Giovanni (among others). One claims that her work reminds readers of Langston Hughes and Zora Neale Hurston. I was curious since Zora Neale Hurston's Their Eyes Were Watching God is one of my ultimate favorite reads of all time. This book was a beautiful and brilliant tale about love and live. Two couples in small town Oklahoma have three daughters who struggle to find love and success.  And, though they face hardships and heartaches, they also live life boldly, squeezing out every possible moment of joy.
Take away: No matter who you are or what you do, you are never to old to chase your dreams.


What's next: still working on The Wealthy Spirit, may co-read (with Dan) The Atheist's Guide to Christmas, or might start reading the five books that I am reading for book groups I am in. Choices, choices.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to read The Atheist's Guide to Christmas.
    I'd also like to invite Andy Strandquist and Todd Sidor to read it and form a T-Mobile Midway Literature Circle.

    ReplyDelete