Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Aunts Unite

I have always felt blessed to have aunts. When I was in elementary school, I idolized my high school-aged aunt. I have very vivid memories of watching her putting on her make-up, doing her hair (which probably took awhile, it was the 80s, after all), and rocking out to Madonna, John Couger Mellencamp, Tina Turner, Cyndi Lauper and this group singing this tune. I thought it was cool to have an aunt who was a teacher, one who was a dental hygienist, one who was a nurse--I loved them all.
That sentiment didn't and doesn't change--no matter how old I am. And, since I was the first granddaughter on the Keeling side of the family, everyone seems to remember my arrival. Well, I mean who doesn't remember when a child is born with this much hair?
Are you upset your baby wasn’t born with a full head of hair? What about the fact that your baby was born white and without deadlocks? Well, fear no more! Baby Toupees are here!
… and don’t worry the only side effect comes about 20 years later when your child is undergoing full time therapy and possibly a mental institution.
I will admit I looked vaguely like one of these, but I won't tell you which one.
Perhaps my aunts remember, in the same way I do, how grandkids change the family dynamic forever. (I mean, Nick and I got to eat sugared cereals, take ice cream runs to the Taystee Freeze, eat french fries at McDonald's and get as many hugs as we wanted.) Nothing is better than being loved by so many wonderful women.
I am glad to say that that didn't change when I got older.
And, a few weeks ago I got to spend an afternoon surrounded by the love of these amazing people. My Godmother organized a shower in our honor. I was so moved by their generosity and presence. After one round of hugs, I remember rubbing my belly saying to the baby, "look at all of these people who love you so much already." I'll probably never forget that feeling--of being in a room of people who gathered together to love and support a tinylittleperson who has yet to take a breath in the world. I also remember a clear moment of clarity--when all the little alphabet blocks were stacked up in a Jenga-like fashion--that if anything ever happened, these would be women I could count on to support me through the tough times, too.  It was really powerful being present to every moment that afternoon.
My thank you cards could never ever everevereverever convey how much I appreciated their showering of love that afternoon--and always. As we welcome our baby into the world with smiles:
A beautiful quilt gifted from Godmother Barb includes a rendition of our family.


I can only hope that this Babe can know the love of aunts in its life as I have known in mine. 
I am think the Keller girls are waiting impatiently in the wings. ;-)
How will a tinylittleperson change this crew?


No comments:

Post a Comment