Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Dr. Liz

May 19: a great day to graduate.
Susie, Kelly, me, & Mary carrying our hoods into the ceremony.
 
It was sunny and warm and beautiful and wonderful and amazing. 
My family was there, which always means a lot to me. Celebrating something wonderful together is much better than alternative reasons for gathering. I prefer to try to find fun reasons to come together--this was a good one. Even the nephews made the trip from Bismarck. Rumor has it that they had the best seats in the house--behind the bleachers--AND they got hauled around in a golf cart to and from the car. Tory shouted, "Sucks to be you!" when they got picked up and carted away. (Seen here from the left: brother Nick, nephew Jeff, Dad, nephew Tory, and Mom. And, of course, baby bump!) When the wind blowing in my favor, I'd like to think the black robe hid "my condition" a little more discretely.

My family. Aren't they the best?
The Kellers were there, too! It was very special to have Maggie and Pam there as well. Seriously, I don't think I could have better in-laws than this!

Who could ask for more a more supportive family than I have? Seriously.

I have come to really know the power of a partnership. This is my adviser, Vivian. The acknowledgement written in my dissertation can never do justice to convey her spirit. She is an amazing woman who is steadfast, reliable, challenging, engaging, funny, witty, caring and committed. I can never thank her enough for the phone calls, office meetings, emails, advice, hugs and understanding. She really is inspiring and "full of life". I think I might just name my firstborn after her; let's hope it's a girl. (Or that we move to France. Vivian is the male version. Vivienne is the female version.) :-)
Photo: Every project needs a great team. Here's my captain.
My support team's captain: Vivian Johnson, the best adviser a girl could ever ask for.
It really was a lovely ceremony with a fabulous commencement speaker who talked about the power of service to others and to community. He shared stories about revolutionaries that were applicable to each group of graduates. (When he mentioned Wendy Kopp, I bit my tongue. I almost had to cover my mouth so that words would not shoot out. Not all revolutionary ideas are carried out as intended.) 
And, after everyone was hooded, it was great to remove the regalia and enjoy the freedom of completion and the moments of celebration.
When you see him, ask him about his shirt. :-)
Looking forward to celebrating the next Dr. Keeling in the family--in a few years.
Nephew Jeff tries out the tam. It's a good look for you, kiddo. As Tory would say, "What's up Doc?"

No comments:

Post a Comment