Monday, February 13, 2012

Into Cyberspace

Tonight I updated my facebook (with Dan's humor help and approval):
just so you know...I am not just getting fat. There's a fetus up in there.


I felt a little like this:


And now the world knows. We're pregnant.


I think it's relatively safe now to come out from my hiding place (though the hematologist said the risks for complication don't really ever decrease--even up to three months post partum). And now you know why I've been hiding out; it's good to have you here reading and supporting me through the process. Thanks, in advance, for all the love, prayers, good energy, healthy vibes, and happy thoughts you send our way.


The only folks I haven't made a grandiose announcement to are my students. I keep thinking about how weird it would be if I were a 14 year-old-boy and my teacher announced that she was pregnant. I just can't bring myself to demand their undivided attention to tell them that my husband and I hooked up 22 weeks ago. I figure they'll catch on soon enough. Frankly, I am kind of surprised they haven't caught on already. For one, I gave my five yearbook editors little cards with coupons for "unlimited baby rocking' and jelly beans. And, in a matter of three hours 500 students knew about my baby-to-be. (And one kid touched my stomach.) And, second of all, my shirts don't exactly fit quite right. Then, today I got a few stares from some girls in the front row. You know the kind:

I am pretty sure they were thinking: "Is Ms. K just getting fat or...?"
So, I figured I'd answer that question for the rest of the world by updating my facebook status this evening. Mystery solved for all (unless you are a freshman in the front row of my fifth hour class).

No comments:

Post a Comment