Thursday, January 19, 2012

What's in a name?

That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
Oh, Juliet. 
A Rose is a Rose, if that's its name. 
This is just one reason why thirteen year-olds should not be allowed to reproduce. What would they name their babies? Seriously.



The Great Name Debate has begun.
 Actually, at our house it's more like a brainstorm session.
Starting early is a good idea because if we can't live with a name idea for two months, how are we going to live with it for the rest of our lives? And will the child live with it for the rest of its life?There's a little bit of pressure to come up with a good solid name that will come to identify a person forever. As an English teacher, I feel that there is particular pressure to have a name that is slightly unique, but very hip and totally meaningful/symbolic. I try not to think about it too much, really. 
We have been trying to have a little fun with every part of the process. We began to compile a list of names on a sheet of paper hanging on the fridge back in November. Since then, there have been a few drops (Simone and Mason) and a few adds. Nothing too definitive yet.


One night, with our heads resting on our pillows we went through half of the alphabet blurting out names that we liked that began with each letter. Dan's were a little more serious than mine surprisingly.
Dan: A--Adam
Liz: B--Boutros 
Dan: C--Calvin
Dan: D--Dylan
Liz: E--Ebenezer
I believe we tried to combine our mother's names when we got to "P". Patella didn't quite have the right ring to it and I couldn't get Dan to dig Maurice. He couldn't get me to fall in love with George. And so the Name Game continues.


My rules are this: 
  • The name needs to be meaningful and versatile. It has to be an appropriate name for a baby, a teenager, and an adult. It has to be cool enough to turn into a rock star and sophisticated enough to run a Fortune 500 company.
  • It needs to sound alright with Keller--no rhyming, and I am initially opposed to alliterative names, too. (Good thing we are starting early, because nearly every name Dan picks out is alliterative! His argument: look at the Kennedys. Good point. I just need time for it to grow on me.)
  • The name can't have any negative association or a terrible nickname. (I can come to terms with kids finding something with every name if they really try, but I don't want to choose a name that has inherent issues.)
  • Oh, and it has to sound cool following this algorithm: 


We know we'll be consulting the family trees for most of our inspiration...and we haven't taken time to do that yet. So, I know our lists are about to change drastically. For now, I'll show you a little glimpse at the lists. Feel free to add your own ideas if you like or comment on what you think. Don't forget that in order to make it on the list, the name has to comply with the rules listed. Who knows?! We might actually consider the name you suggest.
Girls
Viviana
Caroline
Gwendolyn
Guinnevere
Elizabeth
Orphaline
Margaret


Boys
Jackson
Calvin
Arlo
Ezekiel
Adam
Xander
Oliver
Dylan
Maxwell


p.s. Sorry, Nick, we really aren't considering Nicholas James or Nicola Jamesetta! (Though I am flattered and honored that one of your baby names was Hannah Elizabeth.)
And, to Justin: I couldn't get Jay or Justina to land on the list, man.



4 comments:

  1. The one human Calvin I know I adore, and my cat growing up was also called Calvin and he, too, was universally admired. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. After a lengthy and heartfelt conversation, Mark and I are willing to "release" the name we had chosen for our second female child (which we did not conceive). CASSIE AMELIA (maiden name WALKER). This is Grandpa Harold Keeling's mother's name. She was the first Keeling to be an American citizen, born in NY and gave birth to ELEVEN children, NINE boys. Cassie lived to be the ripe old age of 77. Connecting fiber: she was a seamstress. : )

    Sorry - no boys names. But the Keeling that Cassie married (Charles) was a teacher!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out the Baby Name Wizard book. It is categorized by styles rather than alphabetically, which is beneficial for random thinkers. That is how we found the name Beckett. Happy to hear all is well! We have some items we'd love to share with you, so if you are in the area, let us know.
    -Amanda Lester

    PS: You have some awesome names selected; I am partial to Arlo. Some of our almost names were: Abe, Bo, Archer, Asher, Zeke, Mack

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for weighing in, friends! I especially like the idea of the Baby Name Wizard book. Reading the book that we have with 50,001 names in it from A to Z is a ludicrous idea; I mean, who reads the dictionary from cover to cover?
    Personally, Calvin is alright. Though, like previously stated, I am initially resistant to alliterative names. So, I am not hooked just yet.
    I might be able to add Amelia to the list, but I have put my foot down on any girl names with the eeeeEEEEEeeeee sound at the end (I don't care how you spell it -y, -ee, -ey, -ie, etc. etc. etc.). I think it has something to do with my feminist tendencies and my teacher background.
    Zeke is so cool! I am pretty sure that's why Ezekiel is on the list right now. I find V, X and Z to be letters I am attracted to. I hope the Wizard book has a list for me like that.

    p.s. Amanda, I think I'm planning to crash Skaar's "real" retirement party. I miss you guys and want to see you so much that I won't wait to be invited this spring. ;-) And, I'll happily take whatever items you want to share!

    ReplyDelete