Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A letter from the Human Decency League

Today, my lovely wife and mother of my fetus brought my attention to a lovely article about our lovely school district.

Apparently, there is a "league" of people (at least two so far!) that want anti-homosexual propaganda to be "available" in school. Or they will sue. And they want to promote free speech by upholding district policies that specifically curtail it.  Oh, and they will totally sue!  Did I mention they will sue?  They sure did.
"The spectre of a lawsuit came up at least five times as they read a three-page statement."
I know this is a blog about our journey to becoming overjoyed and underprepared parents, but this matters.  Here's why: We are bringing a child into this and I can barely handle it!

Every time I read about or see or smell some crazy religious person ranting and raving and attempting to bring logic and "the Constitution" (always leaving out the "my interpretation of" part out) I have to sigh and wonder what it is all for.  This is someone who obviously has some messed up priorities, but it seems so widespread.  Instead of reality, relentlessly asserting it's dominance over our lives, these people are more concerned with some imaginary, unknown, unproven, unlikely scenario that occurs after you have eaten one too many double bacon cheeseburgers and have a massive cardiac event while driving your SUV, careening into a school bus stop full of kids reading their pamphlets on how being an "ex-transgender" is super fun!

Side note: I like that it's called an "event."  It makes me think I can get tickets.

I think one of the best nuggets of insight I've seen on this whole phenomenon has been from Penn Jillette, who recently spoke about the whole idea of religion being important for leaders and the "Christian" movement in America.
"I stick up for Mormons.  I mean, Mitt Romney is wearing crazy underwear.  He’s wearing magic underwear.  He is.  I mean, under his pants, he is wearing magic underwear.  Magic underwear.  And he believes that a convicted con man got golden tablets that no one else could see, and sat with an angel to find out that the original Jews of the Bible were living in North America.  Crazy, crazy, crazy, crazy.  But… just more modern, not more crazy, than other religions.  Not more crazy than Islam, you know, with your… not more crazy than virgin births and resurrections.  Not more crazy than any of that stuff."
I've always been a fan of Penn.  He can blow hard when I cannot, and I love him for it.  We need a few more on our side.  He also named his kids Zolten Penn Jillette and Moxie Crimefighter Jillette.  Awesome.

So, how does this relate to our baby blog?  Not sure, but I feel a little better knowing that it's not just the shadowy "leagues" of hate-mongers out there.  There are some people who actually believe in the here and now and want to make it as good as it can be, because it's all we have.

P.S.  I know some of you will get upset and say, "Religion is good and we volunteer our time and help the poor and such!"  That's great.  I love that people give of themselves for the betterment of others.  Just think how much more betterment would get done without all the convincing-people-to-believe-the-crazy-stuff-we-were-convinced-to-believe stuff.  So much more time and energy to spend on the work at hand.

3 comments:

  1. Danny,
    Here's why I think this issue is important to our unborn child and to all of the other babies who are being educated in public schools across America:
    If our -0.5 year old child is gay, I hope he or she may never find him or herself in a classroom (or a community) where people think that his or her identity is "controversial" or that he or she is "immoral." I hope that they feel safe and loved and cherished and honored wherever they go for whatever they do. That is what I hope for each and every one of my students (though I will admit that my fifth hour has given me second thoughts about bringing a child into the world at all).
    I cannot continue to be silent about discrimination in the classroom, in the community and in our country. Being silent and neutral only aids the oppressor. It encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. We must interfere. I must interfere and rail against groups like the Parent Action League who demand that "students of faith" be "given more resources in public schools". Not in my school. Not in any public school. That's the beauty our public schools have developed. (Remember how I had to read that book called "What are Schools for?" on the train in the Netherlands? Maybe it was helpful.) Public schools in America believe that every child should LIVE A LIFE OF FREEDOM IN PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS.
    I hope our child ends up with infinite happiness--far more than I have ever experienced in my lifetime.
    I hope our child is born into a world where he or she knows how much he or she is loved and adored--no matter what his or her sexual orientation ends up being.
    I hope our child grows up in a world where he or she is not judged by someone else's agenda.
    I am in love with you, Dan Keller.
    And
    I am in love with our unborn, ungendered, unsexualized, uninstitutionalized, innocent, beautiful, precious baby.
    This is why your post is important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading Dan's post and Liz's comment, I am inspired and proud to be your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I would much rather get notice from The Human League.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPudE8nDog0

    ReplyDelete